Access
Contact
Sitemap
Japanese

About KPU

School History

1884 Establishment of the private Kyoto Deutsche Schule in Kamigyoku (currently, Nakagyoku) Tominokouji Ebisugawa Sagaru by students taught by Dr. Rudolf Lehman, a German teacher; this was followed by the establishment of the Pharmaceutical Department as a separate department.
1889 The school was relocated to Kamigyoku (currently, Nakagyoku) Kawaramachi Sanjo Agaru, and the Preparatory School of Medicine was founded.
1892 Closing of the Pharmaceutical Department and the establishing of the private Kyoto School of Pharmacy.
1898 Relocation of the private Kyoto School of Pharmacy to Kamigyoku (currently, Sakyoku) Ebisugawadori Kawabatahigashi Hairu Akitsukicho.
1902 Closing of the Preparatory School of Medicine.
1919 The Kyoto School of Pharmacy was founded in accordance with the Acts of Colleges. The private Kyoto School of Pharmacy was closed.
1932 The Kyoto School of Pharmacy was relocated to a newly constructed school building in Higashiyamaku (currently, Yamashinaku), Misasagi Nakauchichou (the main building and Ichigokan building were demolished in May 2000, and Nigokan was demolished in March 2008).
1949 The Kyoto Pharmaceutical University was approved in accordance with the School Education Act.
1952 Closing of the Kyoto School of Pharmacy.
1956 Construction of the athletic field in Higashiyamaku (currently, Yamashinaku) Yamashina Misasagi Nakasujicho.
1959 Construction of the library (demolished in June 2010).
1962 Establishment of the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry under the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1964 Implementation of the new two-year planned expansion and construction of school buildings as part of the 80th anniversary project of the school.
Construction of the Gogokan in 1965 (demolished in February 2006), the Yongokan in 1966 (demolished in January 2006), and the Rokugokan (demolished in June 2010).
1965 Implementation of the Master's program at the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1968 Relocation to Fushimiku Hinohayashi and expansion of The Garden of Medicinal Plants.
1970 Construction of the Animal Research Center (the former Central Animal Research Institute; the building was demolished in September 2013).
1971 Purchasing of a new school site in Yamashinaku Misasagishichounochou (approximately 50 m south of the main school site).
1972 Construction of the main auditorium-cum-gym (demolished in May 2014).
1973 Construction of the South Building (for liberal arts; the building was demolished in February 2012).
Addition of the Department of Biopharmaceutics at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences. The university adopted a three-department system.
Construction of Ikushinkan (previously, the Hachigokan).
1974 Expansion of the library's stock room (demolished in June 2010).
1976 Increased enrollment capacity for the Departments of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Biopharmaceutics.
1977 Implementation of doctoral courses at the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1979 Construction of the Radioisotope Research Center (demolished in December 2007).
1981 Construction of the University Hall (demolished in March 2008).
Improvements to the Animal Research Center (demolished in September 2013).
1983 Construction of the Education Research Center (previously, the Sangokan).
1984 The 100th anniversary of the school's establishment.
1985 Construction of the Hourai Seminar House in Shigacho, Shigagun, Shiga (sold in March 2008).
1986 Purchasing a new school site in Yamashinaku Misasagi Shichonocho (located next to the South School Building). Construction of tennis courts.
1988 Construction of the S Building (previously, the Life Pharmacy Research Center).
1993 Increased enrollment capacity for the Master's courses at the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
1994 The 110th anniversary of the school's establishment.
1995 The rollout of the National Center Test for University admission.
1997 Opening of the Education Center for Clinical Pharmacy and Information Processing Center.
1999 Launching the Clinical Pharmacy Master's course.
Construction of the Center for Frontier Research in Medicinal Science.
2001 Construction of Pavot: Student Center.
2003 Construction of Aigakukan (the early stage). Completion of the Aigaku Hall on the third floor of Aigakukan.
2004 The 120th anniversary of the school's establishment.
2005 Construction of Aigakukan (the late stage).
Recruitment of students for the six-year pharmacy program. Suspension of the four-year pharmaceutical science program.
2006 Launching the six-year pharmacy program.
2007 Improvements to the S Building and relocation of the Radioisotope Research Center.
Construction of the Education and Research Center for Clinical Pharmacy.
2010 Construction of Kyukokan.
Improvements to Ikushinkan.
Launching the Graduate School of Pharmacy and the Master's course in pharmaceutical sciences.
2011 Construction of the Central Garden and Sogakukan.
Completion of Misasagi Learning Garden of Medicinal Plants.
Opening of the Center for Continuing Pharmaceutical Education.
2012 Launching the Graduate School of Pharmacy and doctoral courses in pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.
2013 Construction of the Bio-science Research Center.
2014 The 130th anniversary of the school's establishment.
Construction of Nampukan.
Improvements to buildings on the south side (club houses, a guard office, outdoor facilities, etc.).
2015 Construction of The 130th Anniversary Hall (auditorium-cum-gym).